If you are 65 years of age or older and own your principal place of residence, you may qualify for one of the city’s Senior Citizen Sewer Rebates.
- The Water Department’s Senior Citizen Exemption exempts you from paying any future sewer service charges on your water bill. You may qualify if you live in a single family home or multi-unit residential with separate water meter or assessed account. Only buildings that are officially zoned as single family homes (and town homes with individual meters) qualify.
To apply, submit the following to my office:
- Your application.
- Proof of age: a copy of your driver’s license, state ID or a birth certificate.
- Proof of ownership of the unit: a copy of a mortgage statement, deed, property tax bill or homestead exemption certificate.
- Proof of residence: a copy of a gas, electric or telephone service bill.
More information on this rebate can be found from the Water Department here.
- The Senior Citizen Sewer Charge Refund is worth $50.00 per year
Seniors who share a common water bill in a condominium, town home or co-op may qualify for the Committee on Finance’s sewer charge rebate. Reapplication letters were recently mailed out to everyone who applied last year. Remember: you must fill out and submit your reapplication to my office every year in order to receive the $50 refund. Applications have been extended to July 19th, by the end of the business day.
If you are applying for the first time, have recently turned 65, have moved into a qualifying property or if your property taxes are now in somebody else’s name, you must submit the following:
- Your application.
- Your most recent water bill. The water bill can be obtained from your property management company.
- Proof of your senior property exemption: a copy of your 2nd installment property tax bill or an approved application for the exemption.
- Proof of age: a copy of a Driver’s License, State ID, or birth certificate.
More information can be found on the Committee on Finance website.
Completed applications and documents may be dropped off or mailed to my office
( 3223 N. Sheffield Suite A Chicago, IL 60657 ).
For additional information, please contact my office (Esme Borrero) at 773-525-6034.