Have a voice in our Country’s Future: Register to Vote!
An individual may register to vote or update his or her existing voter registration by accessing the home page of the Illinois State Board of Elections’ Online Voter Registration Application Website.
To use this option, an applicant must provide:
- the full Illinois driver’s license or State identification card number;
- the last 4 digits of your social security number; and
- the date the Illinois driver’s license or State identification card was issued.
How To Vote Using the New Voting Equipment
How to Vote By Mail
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What if my current Illinois Driver’s License or State I.D. has my old address?
A. You may use it to register. Election Board will send verification mailing to the new address.
Q. Can I register to vote or update my voter registration in person? If so, where?
A. Yes. You can register to vote and update you voter registration at these locations:
- At our office by bringing in two forms of identification; one form MUST show your current address.
- At the Board of Election Office located at 69 W. Washington, Suite 600, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- When you renew your Driver’s License or are visiting any State Agency.
Q. Can I register to vote by mailing in an application?
A. Yes. Print out a Voter Registration Form from the Chicago Board of Elections’ website, fill out the form and mail it back to the Chicago Board of Elections.
The deadline to register to vote via the Mail-in form is Tuesday, October 9th at 11:59 p.m.
Q. How do I know if I am registered?
A. Check the Chicago Board of Elections’ website to find out.
Q. Who can register to vote?
A. Anyone who is 18 years of age or older, a citizen of the United States, and a resident of their precinct at least 30 days prior to an election, can register.
Q. Do I need to re-register before every election?
A. No. The only time you need to re-register is when you change your address (even when you move within the ward), or change your name.
Q. To vote in an election, when do I need to register by?
A. To vote in an election, you MUST be registered thirty (30) days before the election.