Location: 3141 N. Kenmore Ave.
Chicago, IL 60657
Supervisor: Michelle Baldwin (Sheil Park)
Phone Number: Main (312) 742-7826
This tiny park is located in the Lakeview neighborhood (1/2 block south of Belmont Avenue, one block west of Sheffield Avenue). It contains a playground with a playslab. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered nearby at Sheil Park.
Kenmore Park is one of many small parks created by the Bureau of Parks and Recreation to meet the growing recreational demands of post-World War II Chicago. After identifying this .14-acre site Lakeview neighborhood site in 1954, the city acquired the property using Playground Bond Funds and installed playground equipment and a half-basketball court. Following its practice of the time, the city named the park for the adjacent street. Kenmore Avenue takes its name from the Fredericksburg, Virginia, home of Colonel Fielding Lewis (1725-c.1782), the husband of George Washington’s sister, Betty. The city transferred Kenmore Park to the Chicago Park District in 1959. In the late 1980s, teenagers and adults playing basketball routinely disturbed neighbors and drove younger children from the park. Therefore, the park district removed the half-court and original playground equipment and installed a new soft surface playground with swingsets and climbing apparatus, devoting the park entirely to young children.