All individuals 65 years old and older who are ineligible for the RTA Ride Free Program are eligible to receive a reduced fare permit.
To Apply, Please Provide:
- A completed application
- A copy of a government-issued picture identification card that verifies your age (driver’s license, state of Illinois ID card, alien registration card or passport).
- A wallet-sized color photo of yourself that is approximately 2″ square.
- Please do not wear a hat, scarf or sunglasses in the photo.
Reduced Fare permit applicants are able to apply in person or by mail:
- In Person: Call 312-913-3110 to find a site near you
- By mail: Download an application and mail it to the address listed on the application or call (312) 93-3110 to have an application mailed to you.
Medicare card holders:
Individuals with a valid Medicare card is eligible for a reduced fare permit. To apply as a Medicare cardholder, you will need verification of Medicare status. You can obtain a printout verifying your status by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213, by visiting a Social Security Administration Office, or by downloading a statement on the Social Security web site at www.ssa.gov.
Individuals with Medicare cards who DO NOT HAVE A DISABILITY and are under the age of 65 must provide a copy of their Medicare card and proof of current Medicare eligibility.
Renewing Reduced Fare Permits
All reduced fare permit cardholders with an expired permit or a permit with an upcoming expiration date on the front of the card will need to re-apply. Reduced Fare Permits do not auto-renew. Please follow the same application directions as above to apply.
Lost, Stolen or Damaged Cards
If your reduced fare permit is lost, stolen or damaged, you must fill out a replacement application. The fee is $5.00 for the first replacement and $10.00 for each additional replacement. It is not necessary to submit another photo. Payment can be made with a check or money order; cash is not accepted.
Download a replacement application, or call (312) 913-3110 to have one mailed to you.