Projected Project Timeline*
- 2018 – Utilities relocations in alleys adjacent to CTA embankment
- 2019 – CTA will award contract to firm to execute construction project. After contract is awarded, a more detailed timeline will be released.
- Late 2019/early 2020 – Construction will begin
- 2024 – Project completion
* The timetable for station work will be specified later this year.
On Thursday, April 17, 2014 Mayor Emanuel and CTA President Forrest Claypool announced their plan to modernize the CTA’s Red and Purple lines which would completely rebuild the northern portion of the CTA’s Red Line (Belmont Station to Howard Station).
This project, known as the Red and Purple Modernization Project (“RPM Project”), will include the construction of a two block long bypass beginning at Belmont separating the northbound Brown Line from the Red and Purple lines to reduce congestion. This flyover will require 16 buildings in the 44th Ward between Belmont and Addison to be acquired by the CTA for construction. I have serious concerns about this project and will continue to work vigilantly with our neighbors to review the full plans and designs for the bypass.
My office has coordinated meetings with the CTA, neighbors and businesses that would be affected by this project and will host more meetings in the coming months . As soon as additional information becomes available, I will share it with our community. For more information on this project, check out the links below and visit the CTA’s Red and Purple Modernization page, specifically regarding the Red-Purple Bypass Project, by clicking here.