I heard there was a change to the Senior Free Ride program. What did that entail?
Recent legislation has changed the RTA's Seniors Ride Free program. Beginning September 1, the program will only be available to low-income seniors who are registered with the Illinois Department on Aging's Circuit Breaker program; all other seniors can continue to ride the CTA, Metra and Pace fixed-route services at half price (see below for more information). To learn more about how the new program will work or to get the most up-to-date information, click on the links below:
- Senior Ride Free FAQs Spanish .(pdf) Video
- Apply for the Senior Circuit Ride Free program
- RTA Announces Changes, Timeline for Seniors Ride Free Program
- Agencies Partner to Announce Schedule for Seniors Ride Free Program Changes
- Seniors Circuit Ride Free and Reduced Fare Program Updates
- RTA Continues to Progress with Changes to Seniors Ride Free Program
- RTA Update on Changes for Seniors Ride Free Program (.pdf)
I have a Senior Reduced Fare Card. Do I need to do anything?
No. You’re set. Your card will allow you to take transit for a reduced cost.
The RTA is now transitioning Senior Reduced Fare Card holders to the new smart card that will make it faster and easier for seniors when boarding. Current card holders will be notified when these cards are available.
I’m a senior and don’t have a Reduced Fare Card. How do I sign up?
Sign up for the Seniors Reduced Fare program at the RTA’s Customer Service Center at 165 N. Jefferson in Chicago, or at any one of over 200 sites in the region. To find a site near you, click here for a list or call 836-7000 from any local area code. Give your zip code to the operator, and they will let you know which location is nearest to you.
When applying, you will need a government-issued picture I.D. that verifies your age and a photo of yourself that is 1 ½“ square. Some centers may charge up to $5 for taking your photo. The RTA’s Customer Service Center does not charge for this service.You should receive your new Senior Ride Free Smart Card in 3–4 weeks.